It is the bye week. For most teams, that makes it slow news week. This isn't an ordinary average team, it is the Oakland Raiders. For the second consecutive year, the bye week finds questions flying around the coaching situation. Last year, that was the week Lane Kiffin was fired. This week, it has brought calls from both inside and outside the football world for Cable to be suspended or fired due to allegations. Here are a few of my random observations from around the league for the bye week.
- With the play of JaMarcus Russell, somwhere Todd Marinovich is smiling. He will be at the Coliseum for the last home game for the award ceremony where he will pass the mantle of biggest bust in Raider history.
- First Randy Hanson, then the allegations from his ex-wives through ESPN. Tom Cable hits harder than most of the defense.
- The Raiders issued a statement ripping ESPN after their Outside the Lines report on Cable. They shooting the messenger to a whole new level.
- The Raiders also released a statement saying, "There have been occasions on which we have dismissed Raider employees for having engaged in inappropriate conduct. For reasons of privacy, we kept the basis for those dismissals confidential. We endured public opprobrium for the dismissals, all the while knowing our basis for them was appropriate." Reading between the lines, it is yet another closing shot at Lane Kiffin by innuendo.
- TFDS is on twitter. You can get a version of each of our posts condensed to 140 characters.
- Raiders lose again. Russell no accuracy. defense gashed when it counts. There thats the season in less than 140 characters.